if you are having problems connecting to an RDP App, or a RemoteApp, when using a version of Windows 7 OS then please attempt the following troubleshooting:
- Check version number and/or Upgrade your MSTSC.exe application
- Verify that the CredSSP update is installed
- If you are using a proxy within your browser, ensure that the TAC Portal Site has been added to the browser proxy exception list,
- Ensure that you are not using a VPN add-on in your browser.
Check version number and/or Upgrade your MSTSC.exe application:
- The Windows 7 Remote Desktop Connection application (MSTSC.exe) will need to have, at the very least, "8.1 supported". The following is how to check your current MSTSC.exe version number.
- You can also start the Remote Desktop Connection from the Command Prompt by typing "MSTSC"
- If you do not see version "8.1 supported", or higher, then please upgrade your MSTSC.exe version by following the instructions below:
- Please navigate to the following Microsoft site HERE and download the x86 or x64 version; which ever version is reflective of your current Windows 7 OS.
- After all the KB update files have been downloaded, make sure that they are installed in the correct order. See the screenshot below:
Verify that the CredSSP update is installed
- Please verify that the following Microsoft KB updates have been installed:
- Windows 7 for 32-bit and x64-based Systems Service Pack 1: 4103718 and 4103712
- If the above KB updates are not installed, you can read about the CredSSP Vulnerability, download and install them from the Microsoft site HERE.
If you are using a proxy within your browser, ensure that the TAC Portal Site has been added to the browser proxy exception list, .
- In order to add an exception to your browsers proxy settings, please follow sets #1 thru #5 noted in the screenshot below
- Add the TAC Portal Site in the box at step #5
Ensure that you are not using a VPN add-on in your browser
- If your VPN add-on/extension allows for exceptions, then please add the TAC Portal site to the exception list. If it does not, then you will need to disable the VPN add-on/extension. See how to do this in Google Chrome and Internet Explorer below:
- For Google Chrome Browser see the screenshot below. After opening the Extensions tab, turn off any VPN extensions.
- For the Internet Explorer Browser see the screenshot below. After opening the Manage add-ons window, disable any VPN add-ons.