You can load balance traffic across multiple TAC Gateway servers using a hardware load balancer or by using the Windows Network Load Balancing feature that is integrated into the TAC Gateway.
NOTE: If the load balancing is based on external load balancer in your network, PortSys recommended to refer their product/configuration guide to load balance traffic between TAC servers.
This article will outline how to use Windows integrated NLB feature for load balancing with TAC nodes.
NLB provides a wide range of scalability, manageability and high availability. NLB distributes incoming traffic effectively among the cluster nodes, ensuring effective service runtime and minimizing downtime.
By default, NLB supports up to 32 machines in a single cluster.
To configure NLB, do the following:
1. Select the site from the left pane of TAC Management Console.
2. On the main site properties page, select Use Integrated NLB option and click Manage.
3. On Manage Integrated NLB IP address window, click Add.
4. On Configure Virtual IP Address window, do the following:
a. Select the network which traffic to load balance
b. Select the IP version, IPv4 or IPv6.
c. Enter the Virtual IP address and the Subnet details
Important: The Virtual IP address must be in the same range of the dedicated IP address defined for the network.
The Subnet mask must be correctly added, otherwise, no error will be raised but you may experience undefined problems.
d. Click OK.
5. Select the NLB operation mode: IGMP only; Multicast; or Unicast. Note that to use multicast, any routers you are using must support multicast traffic. The selected NLB mode will be applied to all VIPs connected with the relevant network adapter.
6. Click Close.
7. On the IP address type, use Integrated NLB; select the VIP from the dropdown list.
8. Repeat step 7 for the other sites’ main properties page.
- On the toolbar of the console, click the Apply configuration icon.
10. Select Reset all current settings and enforce usage of the new configuration
11. Enter configuration change description
12. Click Apply
Wait for the apply configuration to complete and click Close.